Please Visit : http://foreignresearcher.lipi.go.id for Online Application and further inquiries or contact :
The Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit
The Ministry of Reasearch and Technology – Republic of Indonesia 2nd BPPT Bld. (8th floor)
Jl. M.H Thamrin 8 Jakarta 10340, Indonesia
Tel/fax : +62 21 3169293 / 39836180
Researcher(s) from other countries are welcome to carry out research in Indonesia. In accordance with the Indonesian regulations, all foreign researchers doing research activities in Indonesia must obtain official permit from the Indonesia authority in advance.
In order to improve our services and support, foreign researchers working with Indonesian counterparts, Indonesia Ministry of Research and Technology has launched a full online system through this site :
All procedures and communication have to be done online, including the application form, uploading all necessary documents and the later reports as well. The Secretariat of Foreign Research will take care all procedures required to obtain an official permit and subsequent study thereafter.
1. Fill in the online application
2. Complete the online application form. Once the form is sent, the applicant is provided with a unique use ID and initial password. Keep these information securely.
3. Confirmation of application: Re-login to your personal page using the user ID and password, and confirm your application. If you wish, you can also change the password (recommended at your first login to keep your privacy and data secure)
4. Uploading the required documents: Upload the electronic files, and the scanned ones for the copy of passport, recommendation letters, photographs, etc
5. Pre-approval : Once all required documents are completed, the application will be passed to the coordinating team for the approval of Foreign Research Permit (TKPIPA) for reviewing process.
6. Reviewing process
7. Final approval : Once the application is approved by the TKPIPA, you will be noticed to collect your research Visa at the Indonesian Embassy or Representative in your home country or other country as requested. The official permit (Letter and Card of Research Permit) will be available for the applicant AFTER the arrival and reporting of the secretariat of Foreign Research Permit office in Jakarta.
1. A formal letter of respect to do research in Indonesia, a copy of which is addressed to the Indonesia Representative e.g. Indonesian Ambassador, Consul General, or Education Attache’. This letter should explicitly state the address of the Indonesia representative from which the researcher will obtain visa. If this address is not given, it can cause delays in some cases.
2. A copy of detailed research proposal, which should have a title, stated objective, and description of the methodology and concepts. It must clearly state the location where field research will be done. If the work is to be done from one or more field stations, please indicate which one will be the research base station.
3. A copy of the researchers curriculum vitae (CV) including a list of publications. For applications with multiple number of researchers, each researcher must submit his/ her cv
4. Two letters of recommendation, one from a professor or equivalent senior researcher’s discipline and another from an official of the researcher’s home institute of university.
5. Letter(s) of acceptance from Indonesian counterpart (in Indonesian academic institution and/or Research Centre)
6. A letter of recommendation guaranteeing sufficient funds to cover research and living expenses in Indonesia and fees for the Indonesian Counterpart(s)
7. Health certificate from a medical doctor stating that the researcher is in good health, both physically and mentally, to carry out research in Indonesia.
8. A letter of recommendation from an Indonesian representative abroad, can be requested from Education and Cultural Attache’ (2-6) by submitting the documents via email : firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Four recent red background passport size (4x6cm) photographs, and two copies of 2×3 cm size photographs
10. A copy of the researcher(s) passport. Note: the passport must be valid for at least six months after the date of completing research in Indonesia.
11. A list of equipment(s) bought to Indonesia, if any, to support the research. The value of these equipment should be stated in U.S dollar.
12. If a researcher plans to bring his/her spouse and children to Indonesia, the researcher must submit a copy of marriage certificates, spouse curriculum vitae, children(s) birth certificate, four recent photographs of each family member and a copy of his/her passports.